2017 has treated us well. The past year has flown by and come to an end, and it’s time to reflect, as well as set up new goals for the new year. Of the six goals set for 2017, I would say I have succeeded in five of them. Of those five successful goals, I would say I have exceeded my expectations in three of them, with those being:
- Learn about investing and start investing. (Started on the path to FIRE, 2027 here we come!)
- Limit eating out to once per week. (Slow carb diet going strong, 4 months in.)
- Play less video games. (I’ve logged zero hours of gaming in 2017.)
I’d call 2017 a win. Oh! And can’t forget this huge accomplishment:
- On December 28, 2017, Karen made her last student loan payment. We did it, we’re official debt free!!
For 2018, my resolutions are:
- Read more books.
- Continue with the slow carb diet/continue to eat healthy.
- Maintain working out or doing physical activity 3-4 times per week.
- In addition to continuing to ride my bicycle to work every day (pending no snow or ice on the ground), ride my bike around more for errands as well as leisure.
- Now that we are debt free, maintain a 70% savings rate of our take home pay (spend 30%, invest 70% into VTSAX).
- Do a lot of research first, then re-enter the debt world by getting a mortgage and becoming a homeowner (??!).
These are my goals for now, the list is sure to expand. Hold me accountable!
How was your 2017? What were some of your favorite experiences? What are your 2018 resolutions? Feel free to share them in the comments so I can hold you accountable! Also, if you have any advice or tips for the home searching/buying/owning process, feel free to share as well! Happy New Year!